Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Remembering Grandma Mildred...

Today marks five years since my grandmother passed away. In ways, it seems like I just talked to her yesterday. But, in others, it seems like five years was forever ago. I couldn't sleep this morning and I thought about all the things she's missed in five years. Weddings, funerals, Christmas, birthdays, family reunions, births of new grandchildren, and so on. She was so full of life and I know she would be proud of how her family has stuck together over the past years. It hasn't always been easy without her presence. However, we all know she is with us no matter where we go.

I was only 17 when she died. It was right after high school graduation. I had such a weird summer of adjusting to life without her. I thought everything was so unfair and I was deeply saddened that she would miss out on many things in the years to come. Now, I know she has been with me through every step of the way.

So, grandma...thanks for standing by my side in spirit through it all...

-First year of college
-A horrible breakup
-More years of college
-Finding the love of my life
-Graduating from WVU
-Starting graduate school
-Beginning my first "real" job
-The death of my grandfather
-Issues with my first "real" job
-Dad's heart issues
-Getting engaged and planning a wedding

I've been through a lot in five years. Some horrible times, some so-so times, and a lot of wonderful times. No matter what, grandma has always been there. I had a dream not long after she died and she said, "I don't know why you're crying. I'm with you everywhere you go."

I love you, grandma. One day, I'll see you on the other side. Until then, continue to stick with me.

No comments: